This bootstrap based theme is in use on a large site and has been thoroughly tested using pretty well every possible permutation of a Moodle course including several third party course formats. It is customisable through admin settings and should serve you well!
Cool features: (at least we think so)
- Toggle to hide show blocks in one click
- Toggle to switch between fixed and full width
- Support for bootstrap elements (Toggle, Modal, see our Bootstrap Elements Plugin Here )
- Choice of two tiled renderers for My Courses on front page, one static and one with overlay
- Jquery slider
- Marketing spots on front page (three or four should render well)
- 2 x info boxes on front page
- My Courses rendered as “tiles” making better use of space
- Four configurable blocks in theme footer (display sitewide)
- Navigation:Top navbar includes:
- Messages icon showing alerts of unread messages + dropdown of users sending messages
- Dropdown with users profile related links
Secondary navbar includes:
- links to home, my home, events
- My Courses drop down list of enrolled courses the order of which is controlled by My Home settings. Students can customise order of this navigation list in My Home. Drag courses to re-order them in My Home and the same order will be reflected in the drop down navigation
- This Course drop down list provides consistent course navigation to activities (replicates activities block), participants and grades
- Ability to add a “help” link into navigation for help pages
- Ability to display a site wide message across the top of the site to notify of downtime or similar
- Truncate course / category names in breadcrumbs, if you have long names and a deep category structure this will come in quite handy! (we plan to apply expanding breadcrumbs on mousever as seen in Essential theme)
- Uses Font Awesome so icons can easily changed
Admin Settings: highly customisable with many settings:
- Color pickers to alter look of theme
- File uploader for slider images
- File uploader for Logo
- Field for stats tracking code (Piwik, Analytics etc)
- This theme was originally developed for Birmingham City University by New School Learning (newschoollearning.com)
- Full Screen / Show Hide Blocks toggles based the on work by Bas Brands (consider voting for MDL-45269)
- Ideas and code taken from other themes notably Essential, Elegance, Simple and other New School Learning themes (commercial)
- Many thanks to Gareth J Barnard for some very good advice prior to us beginning work on this theme
- Screen shots and video show CUL Activity Stream and CUL Upcoming Events blocks by Amanda Doughty.
We are continually improving the features in this theme and would appreciate feedback and suggestions you may have and If we like them we will integrate and update the version here.
If you find any problems please check the issue tracker, hopefully you will find we already have it on our list.
Future Plans: we will be adding more navigation items into the theme (configurable) with the aim of reaching a point where we can disable the administration and navigaion blocks for students giving a simplified more consistent way of navigating courses which is less dependant on the random availability and placement of blocks.